Wednesday, December 19, 2007

Emirates Seven Stars Hotel





In a moment of semi-consciousness, flying high and securely on Etihad's New York to Abu Dhabi business class, I imagined seeing a tiny figure below, perched high on a sand dune in the middle of the desert. It was a diminutive figure waving wildly and shouting “De plane! De plane!” It was as if I was about to land on the mythical “Fantasy Island” to meet the suave and debonair white-suited Mr. Roarke, who would do the impossible to award me my secrete wishes thereby granting me fulfillment of my wildest dreams. As I was about to find out, experiencing the Emirates Palace was kind of like being on a land-locked 'Love Boat' in that there was virtually nothing that couldn't be done, and no wish or desire that would be left unfulfilled. Upon landing, my eyes wandered excitedly, searching for that certain someone who could match my dreamy vision, when out of the crowded arrivals building I caught a glimpse of a very gentle smiling face waving an elegant framed sign with my name on it. It wasn't 'Tattoo' from Fantasy Island but José Palomares, the man that was to be my butler for the next four days at the Emirates, and as it turned out my very favorite person at the Palace.
José led me out of the building as he carried all my luggage. The Emirates Palace sent José to pick me up in a Mercedes Maybach limousine, something they often do for guests scheduled to check into their Palace suites. Driver Mohammed checked with me for my temperature comfort level as well as the type of music I would like to hear, to which I replied “something Arabic”, and was obliged. Throughout the ride to the Palace, driver and butler frequently described points of interest and provided answers to FAQ's as seamlessly as seasoned tour guides. “Is the Persian Gulf nearby?” I asked innocently, realizing that I just flew over the short distance to UAE. “Oh, you mean the Corniche?” using the local name for the waterfront district just opposite the Emirates Palace.

No comments: